About Norwegian Crafts
Norwegian Crafts' principal aim is to strengthen the position of contemporary crafts from Norway internationally.
- to raise worldwide awareness of contemporary craft
- to be a vital contributor in the development of international craft theory
- to create debate and participate in new arenas of society
- to improve the financial situation of Norwegian craft artists through market development initiatives
- to support Norwegian artists, curators and writers within the craft field in their international activities
- to ensure continuous participation from Norway in influential international arenas
- to facilitate collaboration and exchange between Norwegian and international craft artists, curators, critics and other agents in the field
Strategic Project Areas
Norwegian Crafts initiates and produces exhibitions in collaboration with Norwegian and international institutions, curators and artists. The aim is to strengthen the position of contemporary craft from Norway internationally, contribute to the development of the artists’ careers and stimulate further exchange across national borders in the field of crafts.
Norwegian Crafts facilitates participation from Norway at significant contemporary craft fairs and other commercial arenas. The aim is to increase the visibility of and demand for contemporary crafts internationally, and to create new commercial opportunities for the artist.
Norwegian Crafts produces international seminars and publications in collaboration with other significant institutions and craft professionals. Norwegian Crafts commissions online articles on relevant topics from Norwegian and international contributors. The aim is to stimulate critical thinking and discourse within the field of contemporary crafts globally.
Network and Exchange
Norwegian Crafts connects Norwegian and non-Norwegian institutions, artists and other craft professionals. Norwegian Crafts nurtures and secures a worldwide network of crafts through its membership in World Crafts Council Europe, the Nordic Network of Crafts Associations, and Norwegian Arts Abroad. We organise expert, curator and press visits to Norway for the field of crafts.
Grants and Support Schemes
Norwegian Crafts supports the international activities of Norwegian and Norway-based craft artists, curators, writers and critics through different support schemes. The support schemes contribute to the internationalisation of Norwegian contemporary crafts and theory by enabling artists and other craft professionals to take part in important activities abroad.
Norwegian Crafts is a non-profit organisation, founded by the Norwegian Association for Arts and Crafts in 2012. It is funded through support from the Ministry of Culture and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We advise the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Norwegian embassies and consulates abroad on contemporary crafts.
Jorunn Veiteberg, chair
Stian Korntved Ruud
Sandra Márjá West
Tora Endestad Bjørkheim