Haystack Mountain School of Crafts Summer Workshop
This is an opportunity for talented Norway-based artists to attend workshops at Haystack during the summer of 2023. Norwegian Crafts is guaranteed 1-2 places in the Haystack summer program for Norway-based artists. The American-Scandinavian Foundation’s Arts & Crafts Fellowship Program and Norwegian Crafts will provide a grant for the selected artists to cover most expenses connected to the workshops.
These programmes aim to provide unique and diverse opportunities for artists in the craft field, namely through offering Norway-based craft artists a place at renowned schools, workshops and residencies
GRANTS AVAILABLE: 1-2
APPLICATIONS OPEN: NOVEMBER 2022
Updates about applications for 2023 programmes to come in fall 2022.
About the Programme
Dates: Depending on the timings of your selected workshops, 10 consecutive days between July/ August 2023.
Haystack was founded in 1950 and for the past seventy years has been widely considered a leader in craft education. The school serves local, national, and international audiences through programming on our award-winning campus.
Haystack offers one- and two-week sessions focused on studio workshops in a variety of disciplines (ceramics, fiber, glass, graphics, iron, metals, wood, writing, and more) and to participants of all skill levels. The Haystack Fab Lab(digital fabrication studio) is available for session participants, augmenting their studio experience with opportunities to explore new materials and techniques with support from the Fab Lab staff. Visiting artists and scholars from a variety of fields, including science, literature, music, and the visual arts are invited for residencies—to focus on their work and participate with the community—during a two-week session.
For more information, please visit the Haystack website.
Selected participant benefits - Haystack
- $3000 grant from the American-Scandinavian Foundation
- Evening presentations by artists/faculty, visiting artists and writers, staff, and technical assistants.
- Eligible for a travel grant of 5000 NOK from the Norwegian Association for Arts and Crafts (Norske Kunsthåndverkere).
- Opportunity to develop a craft practice with 75–90 participants from across the world
- Dedicated tutoring by a professional artist in a medium or technique of the fellow’s choosing
Is the Haystack summer workshops right for you?
- are based in Norway / have a Norwegian national identity number
- can travel to Haystack in the selected time of the course(s)
- not enrolled in any degree or certificate granting program (including high school, bachelor, or masters degree programs) at the time of application or during the award period