Visitor Programme October 2017
Norwegian Crafts produces one international craft theory seminar each year. For the 2017 edition, Crafting Utopia & Dystopia - Future of Crafts in Museums, we collaborated with Namita Gupta Wiggers of Critical Craft Forum and Warren Wilson College, who moderated the seminar, Nordenfjeldske - the National Museum of Decorative Arts and Design in Trondheim and Norske Kunsthåndverkere - the Norwegian Association for Arts and Crafts.
In connection to the seminar we hosted 15 craft professionals and seminar contributors from 7 different countries on a visitor programme to Oslo and Trondheim.
During 24-28 October our guests went on studio visits in both Oslo and Trondheim, meeting with different artists, including Ellen Grieg, Nanna Melland, Hanne Friis, Bente Sætrang, Carin Wessel, Edith Lundebrekke, Anne Kvam, Kiki Prytz Wilhelmsen, Brit Dyrnes, Toril Redalen and Tovelise Røkke-Olsen; as well as visiting art centres, galleries and museums in both cities: Galleri Format Oslo, Soft Galleri, RAM Galleri, Kunstnerforbundet, Trøndelag Senter for Samtidskunst and Nordenfjeldske - the National Museum of Decorative Arts and Design in Trondheim.
List of Norwegian Crafts' visitors in October 2017:
• Kim Paton, director Objectspace, New Zealand (also a seminar speaker)
• Love Jönsson, writer, curator and critic, Sweden (also a seminar speaker)
• Shannon Stratton, chief curator, The Museum of Arts and Design, New York, USA (also a seminar speaker)
• Monica Gaspar, curator/scholar, Institute for Critical Theory at the Zurich University of the Arts, Switzerland
• Maj Sandell, director Gustavsberg Konsthall, Sweden
• Madelene Unneberg, director Eskilstuna Konstmuseum, Sweden
• Agneta Linton, curator Eskilstuna Konstmuseum, Sweden
• Joshua Webber, curator Sven-Harrys Konstmuseum, Sweden
• Anne Dressen, ARC/MAMVP, France
• Kai Lobjakas, Director, Curator of Design Collections, Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design, Estonia
• Ketli Tiitsar, Project Manager, Estonian Museum of Applied Art and Design, Estonia
• Scrotum Clamp: punk band and jewellery artists: Tim Carson (UK), Petra Bishai (UK), Harvey Stephens (UK), John Coughlin (UK) and Felieke van der Leest (NO)
The visitor programme could not have been possible without help and funding from the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Norwegian Foreign Missions in Sweden, Switzerland and France.